GREATER ONTARIO JUNIOR HOCKEY LEAGUE PAUSES RETURN TO PLAY
New Ontario Lockdown Measures Impacting League’s Return to Play Plan
CAMBRIDGE, ONTARIO | DECEMBER 22, 2020 – With the provincewide shutdown’s new restrictions closing indoor sports facilities, The Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League’s (GOJHL) Return to Play plans have been put on hold. Although key components of the league’s Return to Play were previously released, a timeline for teams to return to the ice must wait until after the shutdown measures are lifted.
“Our priority is to exhaust all options in order to have some form of a season. We are doing everything we can to get our players, teams and league through development and gameplay to a safe return to the ice,” said Mark Tuck, GOJHL Commissioner.
The GOJHL continues to work with local Public Health Units and facilities to develop an updated Return to Play Plan that includes the measures necessary to protect players, officials, staff and fans.
In November, the GOJHL had received approval by the Ontario Hockey Federation to proceed with 5-on-5 Modified Playing Rules for the 2020-2021 hockey season. Featuring most traditional aspects of gameplay, the plan also included accommodations for enhanced player safety, both on and off the ice. Official start dates were dependent on regional Public Health approval but was tentatively planned for mid-January.
“To our teams, players, volunteers and fans, thank you for your continued support and understanding as the GOJHL, along with the entire province of Ontario, works through this challenging time,” said Tuck.
For more information, visit https://www.gojhl.ca/.